After Deferred Action: Traveling in and outside the United States

Hello Angy,
I’m a 32yr old professional currently employed with a working permit obtained through DACA. I feel very fortunate and I am currently seeking to enjoy the privileges of having a “legal status”. My question is with regards to traveling to Puerto Rico. I’m planning on a trip there in November to celebrate my birthday. I’ve heard I can travel with a valid NYS DMV ID. But there has been concern amongst my friends and family about the process entering from Puerto Rico back into New York. I was wondering if you have any information about the entering procedures? Do you have to go through customs? Most of the people I’ve talked to have traveled with their US Passport. I’m hesitant about traveling with out more information. I would appreciate any information or any referral to an attorney. Thank you in advance.

Thank you so much for your question. This has been a common concern for many Deferred Action beneficiaries. According to Educators for Fair Consideration, one can travel to a U.S. territory (Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands) with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals and without advance parole. Traveling to a U.S. Territory is like flying to another state within the country. Take a valid state ID. They also recommend taking direct flights, or connecting flights in other states, but none from other countries. Many of my DACA friends have flown to Puerto Rico and returned safely. I asked them for help before writing this post to make sure. Have fun in Puerto Rico and happy early birthday!

Hi Angy,
I’ve hear about you just about everywhere regarding undocumented issues. I am undocumented or DACAmented. I received my DACA in November 2012. I am a sophomore at a 4 year university. I was recently given the wonderful opportunity to study abroad this summer in Europe. I know that as DACA I can apply for advance parole for education reasons. I’m just wondering if you know anything or anyone who has applied for advance parole for education purposes. I want to know what to expect, how long it took to get an answer back, if anyone had gotten approved for study abroad, etc. I basically would want to know other people’s experiences with advanced parole for study abroad. I don’t know who else to ask. Thank you very much for your help and time. Have a beautiful day!

Thank you for your question. Yes, Deferred Action beneficiaries can apply for advance parole to travel abroad for several reasons including humanitarian, education or work purposes. One must submit an I-131 Application for Travel Document with United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) after you have been approved for DACA.

Ju Hong applied for advance parole under humanitarian reasons. He successfully traveled and returned from South Korea. He documented his journey here. Jose Luis Zelaya, who is very outspoken about his journey as an undocumented immigrant, applied for advance parole under education reasons but wasn’t approved on time. This is his twitter account in case you want to reach out to him. Finally, I am part of a advance parole group on facebook where everyone shares and asks questions related to this. Feel free to join the group if you’re on facebook. I hope all this helped! Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way.